Sunday, July 19, 2020

Contentment and Personal Priority

  A book that I read, or try to read daily is Simple Abundance ~ A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach. Its a book I have had for many many years. Its dated by date, not year. So its good to pick up at any time and not be "behind." But its daily snippets on contentment and being your authentic self. This book is where I will get a lot of inspiration for posts!

  Todays snippet is a good one ~ PERSONAL PURSUITS.

"It's the soul's duty to be loyal to its own desires. It must abandon itself to its master passion." Rebecca West

Examples:
Majorie Rawlings cooked up plots while she baked pies.
Isak Dinesen arranged flowers.
Katherine Hepburn burned time while knitting on the sets.
Queen Victorian filled sketchbooks with watercolor portraits of her children while running an empire.

See the idea? Even whilst they did their work, they still did "soulwork." That soulwork is what helps with being content. Happy. They made themselves responsible for their own happiness. They listened to that voice way down deep, that "soul voice" is what I like to call it.

What personal pursuits do you have? Or.....wished you had? What do you keep putting off till the right day, right time, when the kids are grown, or, when you have more money?
Do you put your children and spouse on the top of the list for letting them do their "heart desire?" When will you put yourself on the list? What did you used to do that gave you joy and you long to pick up again? ( like blogging! )

  I myself have always been somewhat of a Jane of all trades but master of none. I've dabbled in a lot of stuff. But I've never found a TRUE passion. Although, herbs is probably top of that list. But I still have so much to learn in that area also!
  One thing I would like to do is start doing some old lost arts. Like embroidery. Trying to put that off tho til winter. :-) Not only do I wish to learn something but I also want to do it seasonally. And what I mean by that is there are things that need to be done within THIS season that I cant do in cold weather. Like working with the plants, etc. To me, embroidery is something perfect for me to do whilst I am in for the winter. I would love to learn to tat the edge of a beautiful Irish linen hanky! Bake bread. Candlestick making. I used to do some calligraphy. I would love to pick that up again.

  In the past, I have laid down a lot of "my loves" for the sake of others. I am slowly blooming again. I'm writing a new chapter of my life. I am learning to live a more authentic life for me, no matter of the opinions of others. So, as I start thinking of all the new "soulwork" I'd like to do, what would be on your list?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a hobby that I love. I really need to get back to blogging because I really enjoyed it. As I was reading this, I thought that I really need to find something I really enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started a pinterest board with all kinds of ideas on hobbies. Even tho I may not be doing anything yet except for this blogging, its a start! I would love to start the embroidery. Jewelry making. Lots more. Having that pinterest board helps.

    ReplyDelete

What about you?

August

I have ALWAYS loved lists, especially monthly lists. I don't know why exactly. Its not exactly like a To-Do list, like "go to the ...